Tahini & Hemp Seed Trail Bars
I call these "trail bars" because I plan on packing them in with me a lot this summer, but really they are an anytime kind of bar. These days I tend to reach for one around 3:30 pm when a hunger attack strikes, but I've also been known to nibble on them after dinner for a tasty treat. The dates, coconut flakes, and chunks of dark chocolate provide the sweetness and the tahini gives it a delicately roasted sesame flavor to balance it out. All of the ingredients combined create an irresistibly chewy square of goodness. They're also egg free, dairy free and gluten free - great for anyone who deals with allergies or chooses to omit certain food groups.
- 1 cup quick oats
- 1 cup hemp seeds
- 1 cup packed, pitted fresh Medjool dates
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut
- 1/2 cup tahini
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 2 TB flax seed
- 1 TSP cinnamon
- 1/2 of a dark chocolate bar
- Place the oats in a food processor or high-powered blender and pulse.
- Add all of the ingredients and mix until it forms into a dough.
- Prepare a square baking pan with non-stick cooking spray or parchment paper.
- Press the dough evenly into the baking sheet.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let them cool completely before handling.
Makes approximately 12.